SPECIAL NOTES TO LISTENERS: I had to heavily censor this show, so instead of a simple beep we used a 7 second clip of a foghorn for effect. Enjoy ~ DJ
Show notes to guest: This is a PG show so watch your #redacted# LANGUAGE YOU #redacted# #redacted#. lol
Recorded live Nov 12th 2015
Show topic: The Secret World
The Secret World is a buy to play MMO RPG set in modern-day real world where you battle the occult forces. In the game you join one of three world-controlling secret societies attempting to repel, mitigate, or exploit the attack of Lovecraftian entities, and other immortal being in the coast of Maine, Egypt, Transylvania, and parts of Tokyo. You also try to advance your societies secret agenda over the others.
Unlike many other MMORPGs, there is no need to stop to use most of a character’s attacks and abilities; as a result, combat is faster than many other MMORPGs, and movement-based. The character is free to redevelop their abilities on the go, to better prepare themselves for specific threats or better integrate themselves into a group. Unlike traditional MMORPGs, advancement is primarily through equipment, using experience points to buy additional abilities and more powerful weapons.
- So, this is one of the few MMOs that is set in modern times. Do you think that leads to some of it’s success due to it’s uniqueness?
- Factions are The Illuminati, the Templars, and the Dragons
- There are 11 issues out. Each is like a zone. The ultimate edition 1-11 is $59.99 but is ALWAYS on sale somewhere. Subscription gets your routine credits for the store and resting xp.
- Do you think the game lives up to it’s Mature rating?
- Do you prefer 1st or 3rd person?
- So there are really no classes or levels, they allow flexibility in the “Ability Wheel”. 525 abilities but you can only slot 7 active and 7 passive. With 9 weapon types the builds are all over the place. I think that is where my build went wrong.
- The difficulty curve from section one of the game to section 2 is like a punch in the face. What is the secrets to leveling your stuff so you die less?
- The missions come in several varieties and most are repeatable correct? There are Story-line, dungeon, faction quests, and 3 side quests. You can’t accept more than that.
- One thing I loved about this game was it’s subtle way to completely break the 4th wall and screw with your head. Like the mission where you had to tab out of the game (or shut it off) and go and legit search the internet.
- The Norwegian creator of this, Ragnar Tørnquist, also did The Longest Journey which some said was similar in plot to this, or it drew a lot of the feel from. He also did Anarchy Online. (And Casper! )
- This game has hands down the best in game lore system I have seen yet, better than Bioshock’s recordings which I hold dear.
- I read that the game was literally built on top of the same engine as Age of Conan. Did you ever play that one?
- It appears that there are about 300,000 players
Ate a bee. Became magical. Said “screw magic.” Grabbed a shotgun. Went to hell. Got a hell shotgun. Found a boss, thought I killed it. Found out I didn’t. It killed me. Turned into a ghost, and discovered a couple secrets. Fought octo-nipples. Fought Chtulu. Died fighting Chtulu. A lot. Fought my mother in law. Fought your mother in law. Got tired of my shotgun, and tried magic. Learned how to shoot fireballs. Become a fire weilding maniac. As a DPS, tanked through a dungeon. Got loot. Broke it, and made better loot. Got cussed out by some old Seoul lady. Spit on a Templar. Went to hell. (Again.) Found out the Illuminati is super powerful because it has a robot that learns from the internet. Had all powerful being ask for a high five, before realizing it had no hands, and then threatened to kill me like a 12 year playing COD. And I haven’t even gotten to the good parts.
XP Quest News
Finding time to grind
What are you playing this week?
DJ: Fallout 4 Trove! – D&D IRL
We currently have 18 supporters on Patreon. If you would like to support shows on the Players Alliance like XP Quest, simply go to the donation page where you can support The Players Alliance on Patreon. There you will find rewards including a mention on the podcast of your choice, or even guest for an episode on XP Quest.
Follow our guest
The Players Alliance LIVE Shows
Mondays at 8:30 p.m. Eastern – DDO Players News
Every other Thursday at 9 p.m. Eastern – XP Quest
Saturdays at 8:30 p.m. Eastern – LOTRO Players News
Join us for our live shows at xpquest.com/live
Fallout 4 – Bring your Stimpacks cause its gonna be rad.
Thanks for listening and find time for that grind!